Biyernes, Hunyo 10, 2011

Ang Luka-Lukang
     Foreigner
Ms. Mary Margaret Rinnert



        As a foreigner in a new place it takes time to adjust to a new culture and way of life.  Continue to tell myself to embrace change and adapt to what is around me. I, for one, am the “Foreigner”. These constant adjustments can be frustrating, but also exciting. Overall, it’s all about the adventure, di ba? I know as I fly away this place, I will take with me a lot more than what I would ever be able to give. So far, everyday has been a challenge in which I have learned something, and for that I am grateful. A few of these lessons were learned the hard way, but all in all, I have survived my experience so far. These below are just a few of the many things I have learned while living in my new home,…Philippines.
  1. Always invite others into your hour home and offer them something sweet to eat. This is a Filipino way.
  2. Raise your eyebrows with a quick movement when you are greeting others and also when answering a question with “Yes”.
  3. When in line (if there is one) stand directly behind the person in front of you so that no one will “cut”.
  4. Don’t do your laundry if a typhoon is coming.
  5. Always laugh at Brother Serafin’s corny jokes.
  6. Never forget the phrase: “There’s always room for one more,” especially when it comes to riding in jeepneys.
  7. There’s always time for merienda.
  8. Children are the same here as they are in the U.S. They love to laugh and to play.
  9. There are ghosts in your house if you are living alone.
  10. Depending on the day and the person making the comment, I could be mataba, payat, maitim o maputi.
  11. I love spending time with the boy of Casa Miani.
  12. Wearing bright red might mean it’s your Birthday.
  13. There’s no need to hurry or rush. There is always time and other days to get things done.
  14. Bro. Manuel always has a poging smile and corny joke to share. He he he.
  15. Always be ready to answer the following question several times a day:
Saan ka pupunta?/ Saan ka galling? / Taga saan ka? / Saan ka nakatira? /  Do you eat rice? / Are you a Catholic? / Ilang taon kana? / May asawa kana ba? / may boyfriend kana ba? / Bakit? / May mga anak? /Why are you here?/ Ilang kapatid? / Why is your hair that color? / is it cold in your place?

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento